Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Some odds and ends

As the season winds down I would be remiss if I didn't send "shout outs" to a couple of people who have made this season possible.

First, I want to thank Kelly Siblik for being this season's team mom.  Thank you for organizing the snacks and the end of the season party.  I know you have your hands full back at the ranch and I really appreciate your hard work.

A also want to thank David Renshaw for lending a hand as assistant coach.  With the drills we've run during practice this season, it would not have been possible for me to manage it myself. Thanks, David.

I think we all need to send a well-deserved Thank You! to Steve Blair, the outgoing commissioner for St. Mark soccer.  Steve has done an incredible job organizing our teams and making certain the fields are ready for Saturdays.  Steve's e-mail address is steve.blair@fasersolutions.com.  

In addition to coaching a kindergarten team next season, I will be taking over Steve's duties as commissioner.  I have some HUGE shoes to fill.

While this season has been a joy to watch, what makes it even sweeter is remembering how our kids looked at the beginning of last season.  I have had the pleasure of watching them mature not only as soccer players, but also as members of a team.  Words will never be able to express how proud I am to have had the privilege of coaching them and I look forward to seeing them again next year.

I have had a couple of parents ask me about the drills I've used during our practices.  I was inspired by a book the league handed out to the coaches last year.  The name of the book is The Baffled Parent's Guide to Coaching 6-and-under Soccer by David Williams and Scott Graham. Here is a link if you want to order a copy.

I will bring the banner the kids signed last night to the game on Saturday for team pictures before the game.  Be sure to bring your cameras - because the kids will be running through the banner onto the field for the season finale.  I will need all of our parents and fans to form a tunnel for the kids to run through before the game -- and to hold the banner up.  Saturday will be our Cougars' day to have some fun and enjoy what they have accomplished this year.  I can't wait.
  

No comments: